direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Page Content

Financial information

Students with a child can apply for a grant for the Semesterticket to refund the full cost of the ticket.

Due to new rules, all students with at least one child (regardless where the child lives) fulfill the requirement for applying for a grant. The application process includes a review of the student’s financial information comparing revenue (income, social security benefits, maintenance) and expenses (rent, electricity, daycare fees, etc). A parent with a child under the age of 5 paying rent amounting to 600 euros may earn up to roughly 1360 euros per month to qualify for a grant; a single parent may earn even more. This amount does not include child allowance, maintenance, or social security benefits for the child. The amount is even higher for multiple children. 

So, the probability of a student with a child receiving a grant is very high!

Semesterticket Office of the AStAs of TU and UdK Berlin

Straße des 17. Juni 135, 10623 Berlin
Rooms H 2130a-33

Opening hours: see homepage Tel: 030 314 280 38 Fax: 030 314 28162 Web: asta.tu-berlin.de/semtix

The Federal Foundation Mother and Child assists pregnant women in emergency situations whose income is insufficient to cover the cost of pregnancy, birth, and care for their child. The funding provided is intended to pay, for instance, towards a layette, your household, apartment and its furnishings, and care for the young child. The amount and duration of the grant depend on your personal circumstances.
Further information about this topic can be found on the website Federal Foundation Mother and Child.

After the birth of a child, parents are entitled to a parental allowance when they care for their child themselves and do not work more than 30 hours per week. Parental allowance should be applied for from the Parental Benefit Office in the federal state in which the parents reside. For employed parents, the parental allowance amounts to 65-67 percent of the net income lost. However, it is limited to a maximum of 1,800 euros and a minimum of 300 euros per month. If working time is reduced during parental leave, the loss of income from work is only taken into account proportionately.

Please note: A new law on ElterngeldPlus with partnership bonus and more flexible parental leave took effect 1 July 2015. The ElterngeldPlus makes it easier for mothers and fathers to combine a parental allowance and part-time work. Parents who work part-time after the birth of their children can now extend the entitlement period: one Elterngeld month becomes two ElterngeldPlus months.

Further information about Elterngeldplus is available on the Federal Ministry’s website, detailed facts and figures can be found here.



Entitlement to child benefit begins the day the child is born. It ensures that a child’s basic needs are covered. Generally, it is parents who receive the child benefit. The child benefit is 194 euros per month for the first and second child, 200 euros for the third child, and 225 euros for each additional child.
More information about child benefit can be found  here.

Single parents and couples meeting certain requirements are also eligible to receive child supplement. Applications for child supplement should be made to the Family Benefits Office (Familienkasse).

Since 1 April 2011, children and youth from low-income families are also ensured additional benefits for education and social participation. Children and youth from families receiving Supplementary Unemployment Benefit II (Arbeitslosengeld II), social benefits or assistance (Sozialgeld/Sozialhilfe), child supplement (Kinderzuschlag), or an accommodation allowance (Wohngeld) are entitled to the package benefits. More information about the Education and Participation Package can be found  here.



Zusatzinformationen / Extras

Quick Access:

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

Auxiliary Functions

Contact Details

Family Services Office
Main Building
H 1111, Sector 1 K
(030) 314-25693
(030) 314-29861