Flexible ways of combining job and care commitments
In addition to the options available to TU staff in terms of flexible working hours, the legislators would also like to help employees to be able to combine care and job commitments by making it possible for them to be able to continue earning while caring for family members.
Family care time
- Employees can reduce their working hours for a maximum of two years (possible up to a minimum of 15 hours per week).
- Salary top-up of half of the reduced salary during the family care time (example: reduction in working hours from 100 % to 50 % on a salary of 75 % of gross income).
- The reduced salary is paid on return to previous working hours until the advance on salary has been offset.
- Special protection against unfair dismissal applies during family care time.
German law on leave of absence for home care – PflegeZG
- There is a legal entitlement if the family member lives in the home environment and is assessed to be at least level 1 in terms of care dependency.
- Short-term absence from work: employees can take up to 10 days off work in a developing situation of acute care in order to ensure that care is provided and/or to organize care provision.
- Care time: employees can take up to six months off work, either on a full-time or part-time basis, in order to care for a family member. Leave of absence for care must be requested in writing at least 10 days in advance.
- Special protection against unfair dismissal also applies in this case.
Keeping-in-touch (KIT) scheme in connection with care leave
Here is the information you need if you are planning to take time off or are already on leave because of care commitments:
Keeping-in-touch (KIT) scheme in connection with care leave 
The Family Services Office can offer a wide range of information on the subject of care. Our Infothek has brochures and leaflets on advisory services and information on the subject of care.
Room H 1110 and Room H 1111 Daily 09:00 to 13:00 hrs.
Consultation HoursTuesday 10.00 - 12.00
and by appointment
Contact DetailsFamily Services Office
Room H 1111, Sector 1 K
e-mail query 
- Broschuere-Beratung zu familienbewussten Arbeitszeiten